January 21, 2011 marked the date of the 41st Fairfax County Land Conservation Awards, where Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc. (WSSI) was recognized for its outstanding commitment to tree planting and tree preservation in this year’s ceremony, held at the Fairfax County Government Center. The Land Conservation Awards recognize developers, designers, and site superintendents who have excelled in implementing tree preservation and planting measures, as well as erosion and sediment controls for soil conservation.
J.T. Kelley (front left), Ben Rosner, and Eric Calladine (both directly behind) were in attendance to accept the award on behalf of WSSI.
WSSI was honored with this year's award for its work on the Aerospace Corporation, Parcel 35 project at Westfields. Aerospace Corporation is a nationwide scientific research and development organization that recently initiated the development of this ±40-acre site for its East Coast headquarters.
The services that were honored by the County were in support of WSSI's design of a stream restoration plan for approximately 800-linear feet of unnamed tributary to Flatlick Branch using Natural Channel Design (NCD), while providing adequate outfall capacity for the proposed project. The restoration design consisted of modifications to the existing channel dimension, pattern, and profile, a reinforced bed, and numerous native plantings to improve the existing riparian corridor. Because the Aerospace Corporation proposed to impact part of an Environmental Quality Corridor for the development, the stream restoration and tree planting were instrumental in offsetting the development impacts and allowed the Aerospace Corporation to obtain the necessary Special Exception for the development.
Interaction between all departments of WSSI (Environmental and Ecosystem Services, Survey, Archeology, GIS, Engineering, and Environmental Compliance) with numerous members of the development team, community stakeholders, County staff, Planning Commissioners, and the Board of Supervisors was essential to the success of this endeavor.
Aerospace Corporation, Parcel 35 was the recipient of six awards at this year's ceremony. Individuals recognized from WSSI included Mike Rolband, Eric Calladine, J.T. Kelley, and Ben Rosner.
WSSI Services Provided in Support of the Aerospace Corporation Project:
For more information concerning this project or award, please contact Mark Headly or Ben Rosner.
- Waters of the U.S. delineation and survey
- Existing vegetation mapping
- Phase I archeological investigation
- Endangered species surveys: wood turtle and small whorled pogonia
- Resource Protection Area mapping
- Environmental Quality Corridor mapping
- Clean Water Act permitting (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers)
- Virginia Water Protection permitting (Virginia Department of Environmental Quality)
- On-site stream restoration activities: design, construction oversight, monitoring, and maintenance
- Permit compliance and construction monitoring for wetland and stream impacts
- Erosion and sediment control inspections
- Tree preservation area inspections